1 year, 9 months ago (2011-07-26)
That is around the time I am taking right now from my apartment in Luo Hu District, Shenzhen to my work in Kowloon Bay, Hong Kong. Usually I take slighlty longer though, but that would be the optimum. Here the steps:
- 10 minutes walk to the border
- 10 minutes border crossing (its really fast when you are a Hong Kong Resident and I don't even have the HKID yet)
- 5 minutes waiting for the train to go
- 35 minutes taking the East Rail Line from LoWu to Kowloon Tong
- 5 minutes line change in Kowloon Tong to the Kwun Tong Line
- 10 minutes to Kowloon Bay
- 5-10 minutes to the office via Express bus. Sometimes need to line up for the elevator longer, sometimes there are more people in the MTR station so walking is slow.
For everybody who is wondering why I am suddenly work in Hong Kong: I changed my location and with it my job. The company I am working for now is Accedo Broadband Ltd.. I am still keeping some contact to my old company in Beijing though. Since my girlfriend can't enter Hong Kong so easily we decided to live in Shenzhen and for the moment this works quite well. The time to the office is of course longer than I was used to in Beijing (esspecially with the E-Scooter), though I feel more comfortable with it than standing 20 minutes within a bus in Beijing's traffic jam.
2 years ago (2011-05-09)
Even I released django-urli18n already two weeks ago, I didn't find the time to actually announce it. So here it is:
What is django-urli18n?
A reusable Django app to display the current activated language in the URL.
- different ways to show the language in the URL: in the path (for example www.example.com/en/home/) or in a query string (for example www.example.com/home/?lang=en)
- simple to use and include into new or existing Django projects
Where to get it?
Check out the project page on Github.
2 years, 1 month ago (2011-04-09)
It's finally becoming warmer in Beijing. I really dislike the winter here (and the late autumn and early spring for that matter). The air is totally dry, there is heavy wind from time or time or if there is no wind at all the air is way to smoggy. Additional to that Beijing is very dusty in any season (mostly respirable dust I think).
During this period I am getting sick way too often. Sometimes its just a one-day sickness, feeling uncomfortable and after the night its magically over. Some other times, like the last week, it takes really long. The horrible weather and air is not really helping during this time.
The summer is the only season which I can stand here. Its pretty hot, though I like it. After coming summer I really would like to leave Beijing for good. I am simply too often sick in and already sick of it. This has nothing to do with China itself. The Beijing environment is simply not good for me or my future.
2 years, 1 month ago (2011-04-01)
I changed the domain to better-inter.net. The very few people which are still watching the this blog on the old domain should change now. Soon this will not be reachable there anymore.
Additionaly I added some awsome HTML5/CSS3 features to the site. The background gradient is made with CSS3 + all input and textarea form elements are adjusted with box-shadow, gradient and rounded corners. Can't wait until this is becoming the standard for the web. Not supported here are IE's for that matter. So who want to watch the site with everything it got should use a modern web browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, IE9+).